The Camino de Santiago is a thousand year old pilgrimage trail across Spain that has resurged in popularity in recent years. In this talk from his book, The Camino Way, Victor describes the pilgrim values he learned on his month-long hike across Spain on the Camino. He draws upon his experience as a senior executive to show how those values can improve the culture in corporate, government and other organizations.
The Camino de Santiago is a thousand year old pilgrimage trail across Spain that has resurged in popularity in recent times. In this talk from his book, The Camino Way, Victor describes the self-improvement insights he learned on his month-long hike across Spain on the Camino. He draws upon his own career experience to show how those insights can help anyone find passion and achieve success in their career.
Every employee is different, but unfortunately many leaders use a one-size-fits-all approach to leading. In doing so, these otherwise well-intentioned leaders are working harder than they should while not getting the best from their teams. In this talk from his book, Lead Inside the Box, Victor describes a way that leaders can get the best out of their teams by focusing their energy where it will make the biggest difference.
Organizations pay big sums to external consultants to solve strategic problems that their own teams cannot crack. Once the consultants leave, so does all that problem-solving expertise. In this talk, Victor walks through a strategy consulting case study to teach the problem-solving methods to non-consultants. With that knowledge, attendees can apply the techniques themselves and become smarter clients when they do bring in consultants.
Victor Prince is a management author, speaker and trainer. His book Lead Inside the Box: How Smart Leaders Guide their Teams to Exceptional Results (Career Press, 2015) was named a Top 20 Leadership Book of 2016. His next book, The Camino Way: Lessons in Leadership from a Walk Across Spain comes out in July 2017 from AMACOM / The American Management Association. Victor is also a corporate trainer with thoughtLEADERS LLC, where he has trained students across 13 time zones in leadership, communications, and strategic problem-solving techniques.
Victor has 20+ years of experience in corporate and government leadership positions:
- Victor was a consultant with Bain & Company, where he led strategy engagements with clients in the US, UK, France and Spain.
- Most recently, Victor was the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). In that role, he helped build the new federal regulatory agency and ran a division of 300+ staff and $100 million+ of budget that included human resources, finance, travel, procurement, facilities, security, information technology, equal employment opportunity, and the consumer complaint response center.
- Victor was a member of Washington DC Mayor Fenty’s cabinet as the Director of CapStat, the performance accountability program to improve performance of the $10 billion local government. In that role, he also served as the coordinator (“czar”) for the District’s implementation of the $240 million in federal funding received from the 2009 Recovery Act.
- Victor was a Senior Director of Marketing & Analysis with Capital One responsible for internet marketing strategy.
- Victor was head of marketing for Webs.com, a do-it-yourself website building service that was purchased for $117 million in 2011.
Victor earned an MBA in Finance from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. While at Wharton, he served as Chair of the University’s Graduate and Professional Student Assembly, the student government representing 10,000+ students. He earned a BA in International Studies and Economics (magna cum laude) from American University in Washington DC.
Victor lives in Indianapolis, Indiana. When he is not working, you can probably find him biking or hiking a trail somewhere in the world.