Have you ever wondered why it is that patients who desperately want to adopt healthier lifestyles don’t stick with them once their initial burst of motivation fades?
This provocative presentation will discuss the surprising reasons this is true and also showcase a new paradigm to help providers and patients better prioritize their own self-care and motivate healthy behavior so it is maintained over time. Leveraging insights from science and marketing and over twenty-two years of health coaching, Dr. Michelle Segar will present:
* The science explaining why logic-based reasons for behavior change (e.g., better heath, disease prevention, etc.) produce short-term behavior.
* The latest research on how to optimally frame healthy behaviors to patients
* A new approach to cultivate lasting health behaviors among patients
Health professionals will leave this session with an easy-to-implement framework for fostering the sustainable behavior necessary to achieve improved health and well-being among patients.
Over 30 years of research shows that there is a gap between what people intend to do and what they actually chose to do.
This provocative presentation will teach corporate wellness and HR professionals:
* Why traditional corporate wellness messages and methods set employees up for short-term behavior
* The key science for a new approach based on well-being
* How promoting health with the “Right Whys” concurrently fosters bottom line outcomes that organizations value
Attendees will leave this session with a more strategic way to communicate about, promote, and design the sustainable behavior necessary for achieving improved health and well-being as well as corporate thriving. Dr. Michelle Segar’s disruptive ideas for corporate wellness has been featured by the National Group on Health, WELCOA, the National Wellness Institute, among other leading wellness organizations.
THIS TALK IS DESIGNED AS A 3-HOUR INTERACTIVE WORKSHOP FOR WELLNESS / HR PROFESSIONALS.
With rave reviews from organizations like Walmart and the National Business Group on Health, this interactive, three-hour workshop teaches wellness and HR professionals the “how to’s” of designing science-based messages for wellness communication and marketing. In this hands-on workshop, attendees will:
* Learn why the traditional logic-based approach used in wellness messaging undermines creating sustainable behavior change among employees.
* Understand a new framework for designing scientifically supported communications
* Get opportunities to review and critique traditional wellness communications
* Leave with an easy-to-use terminology for designing more persuasive and impactful health and wellness communications
We start out with the best intentions. We’re going to exercise more and get in shape! Then five days a week at the gym turns into two… then becomes none. We hit the snooze button and skip the morning run. We really do want to be healthy and fit, but we’re over whelmed and overextended—and exercise feels like another chore to complete. Is it any wonder we don’t stick with it?
Sustainable behavior change expert Dr. Michelle Segar has devoted her career to the science of motivation. In Moving Toward Happiness, a consumer-oriented presentation, she helps attendees learn:
* The reasons why starting to exercise to lose weight sets them out to fail.
* The difference between “low” and “high” quality motivation, and how to create the later.
* New exercise motivations that are based on science and cultivates sustainable success.
Attendees of this presentation will leave inspired with new easy-to-use ideas that will help them build behavior that lasts a lifetime.
Michelle Segar, PhD, MPH, motivation scientist and author of critically acclaimed “No Sweat! How the Simple Science of Motivation Can Bring You a Lifetime of Fitness”(AMACOM 2015), is Director of the Sport, Health, and Activity Research and Policy Center (SHARP) at the University of Michigan, and Chair of the U.S. National Physical Activity Plan’s Communications Committee. No Sweat was chosen as the #1 book in Diet/Exercise in 2015 by the USA Best Book Awards, and when released, it achieved the #1 selling Exercise & Fitness book on Amazon. Michelle’s 360-degree perspective is informed by more than two decades of award-winning research, individual fitness and self-care coaching, and consulting, uniquely positioning her to help organizations understand and leverage the emotional drivers and internal rewards of consumers’ decisions that lead to well-being and health.
Pioneering new approaches to sustainable behavior change in the fitness, health care, and wellness arenas, Segar’s evidence-based ideas about what motivates people to choose and maintain healthy behaviors is changing the conversation across fields. She consults with global organizations on these issues and delivers keynotes and sustainable behavior change trainings.
Her consulting and/or speaking clients include Adidas, Beaumont Health System, EXL, Google, Influence Health, Kaiser Permanente, National Business Group on Health, PepsiCo, Walmart, The University of Vermont Medical Center, and Zingerman’s. She has a doctorate in Psychology (PhD) and master’s degrees in Health Behavior/Health Education (MPH) and Kinesiology (MS) from the University of Michigan. Segar lives with her husband and son in Ann Arbor, and she loves walking, speaking Spanish, eating great food, and hanging out with friends and family. She ran with the Olympic Torch at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona.